Fissure In Ano is a condition in which the Anoderm which is a specialized tissue lining anal canal and anus develops a minor tear or cut. Since this tissue contains abundant sensory nerve endings which could sense even a slightest pain or touch, this condition can prove to be extremely painful. In initial stage the fissure (cut) may involve only epidermis but in many cases the cut deepens due to straining at stool in constipation, it might reach to the dermis thus making condition even worse. The anus react to this situation by contracting in order to stabilize pain but since then there is no way left for the feces to move out, it stretches the tear more thus hindering the healing process. The pain is generally accompanied by bleeding which passes out as streaks with stool during defecation. Fissure can be of any of the two types- acute fissure which is superficial and is cured within six weeks or chronic fissure which persists for more than six weeks and is caused by deepening of the superficial cut. It is more common in people who are constipated and in some women after pregnancy.
The fissure causes extreme burning pain especially during defecation which is often accompanied by blood streaks along with stools. The unbearable pain and bleeding usually discourages people from defecation thus causing constipation. Tightness of anus interrupts the discharging of stool. In case of chronic fissures the person can even experience terrible itching and swelling in the lower region. If the problem continues for a long duration it can cause urinary problems like increased frequency of urination.
Important factors contributing to the cause of this problem involves-
- Physical strain on passing of hard stool.
- Consuming low fibre and spicy food
- Low water consumption which causes hard stool.
- Weakening of anal sphincter muscles because of some disease or stress.
Homeopathy has eefective medicines to heal the fissure and get relief from this painful condition. A few homeopathic remedies which provide speedy cure for the problem are-
- Graphites 30– This remedy is prescribed when the fissure is a cause of dry skin or constipation. It helps to cure the pricking pain felt for a long time after passing of stool and rushing of blood to the person’s face due to this strain and pain.
- Nitric Acid 30– When anal fissure is caused due to drying of the skin which causes splinter sensation in anus along with fluid or blood discharge and loose motions. The pain seems to last for a long period after defecation process.
- Ratanhia 30– When fissure is caused mainly because of constipation and stool passes out after immense straining, this remedy can be very effective. The fissure causes burning sensation but the pain is generally temporary and normalizes on cold application.