In peptic ulcer, the inner lining of the stomach, esophagus or duodenum is damaged or eroded. There is a general belief that peptic ulcers are caused by eating spicy food or due to stress, but, this is incorrect. These cannot cause peptic ulcer but can worsen the condition. Helicobacter pylori is the main causative organism. There are many types of peptic ulcers. Ulcers affecting the stomach are called gastric ulcers. Ulcers that occur in the esophagus are called esophageal ulcers and those affecting the duodenum are called duodenal ulcers.
- Helicobacter pylori- H pylori lives in the mucus, lining the stomach and duodenum and produces urease. Usually the bacteria do not cause any damage. But sometimes it damages the mucus layer and cause inflammation in the stomach and intestine. The bacterium can spread through food and water. It is also present in human saliva so, it can also spread through mouth to mouth contact.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID’s) – These are the pain relieving drugs that decrease the stomach’s ability to make a protective covering of mucus, making it more susceptible to damage by stomach acids.
- Old age
- Alcohol consumption
- Mental stress
Signs and symptoms
- Stomach pain is the first symptom of peptic ulcer. The pain can last from a few minutes to a number of hours. Pain is most severe when stomach is empty and worse during night. It is temporarily relieved after having food. Empty stomach pain is a characteristic feature of duodenal ulcer, whereas in gastric ulcer pain starts immediately after having food.
- Radiating pain is a feature of duodenal ulcer, but, in gastric ulcer radiating feature is absent.
- Difficulty in swallowing the food.
- Vomiting after eating.
- Feeling unwell after eating.
- Weight loss.
- Appetite loss.
- Vomiting of blood.
- Blood in stools.
- Double contrast barium meal examination.
- X-rays of stomach and duodenum.
- Blood test
- Stool test
- Argentum nitricum
Argentum nitricum is a very useful remedy in patients complaining of symptoms like pain in the stomach, sensation of fullness. These patients are sensitive to pressure applied on the affected area.
- Arsenicum album
Arsenicum album is a leading homeopathic remedy for individuals suffering from ulcers in which the physical symptoms can include the intense pain in the abdominal region immediately following a meal. Also given in patients complaining that the pain is aggravated after drinking water.
- Nux vomica
Nux vomica is used in patients with symptoms including persistent irritation in the stomach after heavy meals, intake of alcohol, coffee consumption and also after the use of medications and drugs. It can also be given to patients complaining of severe pain between the shoulder blades
The major cause of arthritis is breakdown of the cartilage. Cartilage covers the joint surface of the bones to prevent them from rubbing against one another thus allowing their smooth movements. It even absorbs shock when some pressure is laid on your joints. Damage to cartilage allows direct rubbing or grazing of the bones which produces inflammation, pain and stiffness. Other possible causes of arthritis include-
- Excessive pressure over joints
- Joint dislocations
- Bone tumors
- Rheumatic feve
Homeopathy offers very effective remedies which can surely help people who are badly troubled with problems of anxiety and panic attacks. Some of the homeopathic remedies which could be recommended to anxiety prone patients are as follow-
ACONITUM NAPELLUS– Symptoms like sudden panic attacks accompanied by a strong fear; immense anxiety with strong palpitations, flushing of face and difficulty in breathing indicate the use of this remedy. It is even used when the person is trembling badly.
ARGENTUM NITRICUM– This remedy helps in treating anxiety which you may develop before confronting some big competitive event. It even cures symptoms of diarrhea and dizziness. People needing this remedy have a tendency to develop unusual thoughts or impulses.
GELSEMIUM– If you are suffering from weakness, mental dullness, constant chills, perspiration and trembling, this remedy can help in curing these symptoms It is even useful if you tend to have stage fear, or get over anxious before some event.