Enlarged prostate means that the prostate gland has grown bigger than its actual size. An enlarged prostate is known as benign prostatic hyperplasia or hypertrophy (BPH). Prostate enlargement is a common among the elderly males. The prostate grows with age. Prostate double its original size at puberty and at an age of about 25, prostate gland starts growing in size and continues to grow as a man matures leading to an enlarged prostate in late 40’s or 50’s. As the gland grows in size, it can cause compression of the urethra resulting in urination and bladder problems. Prostate is a male reproductive gland. It surrounds the urethra, the tube through which urine is passed out..
The actual cause of enlargement of the prostate is unknown, but, some factors which increase the risk of the prostate enlargement includes:
- A drop in male hormones and an excess of female hormones.
- Continuous accumulation of a growth hormone.
- Prostate cancer can also result in an enlarged prostate.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia- It is a very common cause of enlarged prostate and often referred as “ enlarged prostate”.
- Prostatitis- It is the inflammation of the prostate gland. Inflammation of the prostate gland causes temporary swelling of the gland causing obstruction to urine flow.
- Aging- Enlarged prostate affects almost 90% of men .
- Heredity- A family history of an enlarged prostate is also a risk factor.
- Marital status- Married men are likely to develop an enlarged prostate.
- Heart diseases
- Circulatory diseases
- Type 2 diabetes
Symptoms of prostate enlargement vary among individuals. Symptoms gets worse over time.
- Weak urine flow.
- Difficulty in initiating urination.
- Leaking of urine at the end of urination.
- Sudden and frequent urge to urinate.
- Nocturia-Frequent urge to urinate during the night.
- Pain with urination.
- Struggle for urinating.
- Inability to completely empty the bladder.
- Urinary tract infection.
- Stones formation in the bladder.
Thuja: Thuja is one of the chief remedy to cure the symptoms of enlarged prostate. Thuja is indicated when there is frequent urgency to urinate, burning pain sensation near the bladder neck and weak urine flow.
Sabal Serrulata: It is another main remedy used in prostate enlargement. Symptoms like nocturia (frequent urgency to urinate at night), difficulty in initiating urination with feeling of coldness in the sexual organs are indications for Sabal.
Causticum: This is another effective remedy. It is effective when there pressure symptoms like urine loss when the person sneezes or coughs, if a patient feel pulsation or pressure while urinating extending from the prostate to the bladder.